Mar 30, 2009

The Measure of a Man

My husband called me from work the morning of March 10th to tell me that his grandpa, who was in the hospital, was dying. He was leaving work right away to pick us up so we could make the 2 hour drive to where his grandparents live. If ever in my life I wished I could move the earth, it was that day. We were over half way there when Dom's cell phone rang. He whispered to me, he's dead, and my heart sank. I saw in Dom's eyes the pain of someone who had just lost their hero. Thankfully, we made it to the hospital in time to say goodbye before they moved grandpa from the room. And thus began a grief filled week which ended with a funeral, far too close in time to Sydne's. But there is one thing that stands out above the rest. Dom and I were in the car heading back to his grandparents house from the store, and we were talking about his grandpa of course. It was in this conversation that he stopped, paused, and then said the words I will always remember. "He was the greatest man I knew" Now to make this statement even more powerful, Dom knows some pretty remarkable men, a few of which probably have a direct line to Jesus, if you know what I'm getting at. So that was a powerful statement.
Now you may think that this post will be about Grandpa. But the more I thought about how to convey his greatness, the more I realized in order to do that, I needed to talk about my husband. Cause after all, as he says, he learned everything he knows about being a man from his grandpa.
I may not have mentioned this before, and if I haven't, I am remiss in my thinking, but I have the most wonderful husband any woman could ever find. He is a true warrior, a protector of women, a chivalrous prince, who has spent everyday since we met fighting for me. And what's more, he understands the concept of marriage. He comprehends (and sometimes reminds me) that marriage is not easy, but rather a beautiful challenge that two people partake upon together. That it is a living breathing entity that must daily be nurtured and cared for. He gets that marriage is constant work, hard work, the most important job anyone will ever have. And because of that understanding and commitment, we love each other more today than when we said I do.
I used the word chivalrous. Some women would say old-fashion. But I love it. (Maybe in another post I'll explain why) He opens doors for me. he carries things for me. He helps out around the house (sometimes doing more than I do!). He cooks. He's paid for every meal since the day we met. He knows how to treat a woman with respect and dignity. He never ceases to tell me I'm beautiful, always making me feel like a princess. And he respects all women, not just me. He fights for all women, which makes me love him even more. He would do whatever it took to take care of his family. And he wouldn't complain. He leaves work at work. When he's home, as long as I'm awake, I have his attention when I want it. His job is always secondary to us. He finds new ways to demonstrate his love for me, whether in a card, flowers, etc. He gave up college for me (a long story for a later time). He fought for me when I wouldn't fight for myself. He pushes me, challenges me to be a better person. And I am eternally grateful. He is my real fairy tale prince.
And for that I would like to thank his grandpa. You can't teach someone something unless you yourself know and live it. And that is why everything I just said about my husband is a reflection of grandpa as well. I am forever grateful to you grandpa for being the great man you were and helping my husband become the great man he is today. I pray that Dom and I can have 53 wonderful years together as you and grandma had. In the true measure of a man, you surpassed my imagination. You gave me the greatest gift anyone could have given me. You taught my husband how to be like you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

Love,
Mom L.

Obsessedwithlife said...

Awesome!

Rach

Bev said...

Liz - thank you so much for these beautiful thoughts -- Grandpa would feel very humble about them. And, I thank you for them myself.
Lots of Love,
Grandma H.

Stacey said...

I am blessed by these words, Liz. Thank you for sharing.

I am sorry for you and Dom's loss.

Praying...