Dec 17, 2008

Words

I found this poem on a blog I came across and wanted to share it. Sometimes no matter how much you try, its hard to find words at times for what you really want to say. And so you borrow other's words until you can find your own again.


Please Be Gentle
By Jill B. Englar

Please be gentle with me for I am grieving.
The sea I swim in is a lonely one
and the shore seems miles away.
Waves of despair numb my soul
as I struggle through each day.
My heart is heavy with sorrow.
I want to shout and scream
and repeatedly ask 'why?'
At times, my grief overwhelms me
and I weep bitterly, so great is my loss.
Please don’t turn away
or tell me to move on with my life.
I must embrace my pain
before I can begin to heal.
Companion me through tears
and sit with me in loving silence.
Honor where I am in my journey,
not where you think I should be.
Listen patiently to my story,
I may need to tell it over and over again.
It’s how I begin to grasp the enormity of my loss.
Nurture me through the weeks and months ahead.
Forgive me when I seem distant and inconsolable.
A small flame still burns within my heart,
and shared memories may trigger
both laughter and tears.
I need your support and understanding.
There is no right or wrong way to grieve.
I must find my own path.
Please, will you walk beside me?


Also, a very blessed Advent to everyone. May this final week bring time to reflect, relax, and rest in the arms of our Savior. I know I'm going to make every attempt to get to confession sometime this week in preperation for Christmas. How are you preparing your inner self?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one of the best songs I've ever seen to deal with grieving. Just know that we are with you through this process and we love you.

Mom L.

Bev said...

Liz - this is a beautiful poem. You are in my thoughts and prayers every day. They always say time heals everything, but it certainly takes a long time for most of us. Hang in there and remember how much you are all loved.
Grandma H.

Stacey said...

Wow, Liz. Wow. That was breathtaking.

Walking with you, girl.